The employer’s guide to enrolling your employee to an SSS membership

Republic Act 8282, also known as the Social Act Security of 1997, mandates that employees of private companies should be members of the Social Security System (SSS).

This is to “provide meaningful protection to members and their beneficiaries against the hazards of disability, sickness, maternity, old age, death, and other contingencies resulting in loss of income or financial burden.”

Every employee’s contribution is determined by his or her monthly salary, as per the SSS contribution table. 30% of the monthly contribution is deducted from the employee’s salary, while the remaining 70% will be shouldered by the employer.

For example, if the employee earns a monthly income of P15,000.00, according to the contribution table, the total contribution is P1,650.00. The employee’s salary will then be reduced of P545.00. The employer will shoulder the remaining P1,105.00.

Employers are required to update, post, and remit contributions to their employees’ SSS. If they’re unable to do so, they will be held liable by the government.

Here is the step-by-step process to get your employees their SSS:

For first-time employees without SS Numbers:

  1. They should get their SS number first. They can do it online by going to SSS’ registration portal.
  2. Once they get their numbers, they should go to the nearest SSS branch, present the printed online application form along with the required ID/cards and documents.
  3. Then, employees must present his or her SS number to the HR.

For existing SSS members:

  1. They should submit their SS number to the HR.
  2. You are now to fill out the SSS Form R1A. This form is a report that contains the information of newly hired employees.
  3. Submit this form to the SSS office where your company is registered. This report should be submitted monthly to SSS.

All forms needed for both employees and employers are available for download on the SSS website.


The social security system is one of the country’s ways to help its workforce, aside from health and housing benefits. Employers should do their part by contributing the amount that is due and give the benefits their employees deserve.

Photo courtesy of Helloquence at StockSnap.io and the Philippine Social Security System

Comments

comments