Close to the heart of the Filipino household, GMA 7 is undoubtedly one of the Philippines’ top networks on free TV.
The station is home to several popular programs and shows, such as 24 Oras, Encantadia, Mulawin, and the hit Filipino adaptation of the Mexican telenovela Marimar.
As prominent as the Kapuso Network is the man leading it, Atty. Felipe Gozon. He may not be a TV actor, but he is a personality worth knowing, particularly in the local business, and broadcasting industries.
Here are some fast facts about the GMA CEO:
1. It’s no secret that Mr. Gozon is a lawyer by profession way before he became the GMA executive. But did you know that he was a top passer of the bar exam? He bagged the 13th place when he took it in 1962.
He obtained his Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of the Philippines, and Master of Laws degree from Yale University.
2. GMA was initially RBS, founded by Robert La Rue. Mr. Gozon took charge of the station with colleagues Menardo R. Jimenez and Gilberto M. Duavit in 1974.
The broadcast industry was something that’s totally new to him that time, but still, he took the opportunity. Its challenges are something that he really enjoys — the field may have a lot of it, but it was, at the same time, fulfilling for him.
3. There is a children’s book about him. Entitled “Kapuso Mo, Atty. Felipe L. Gozon,” the book aims to share the values that the TV network chief brought along on his journey to success.
Written by Genaro R. Gojo Cruz and illustrated by Domz Agsaway, the storybook on Atty. Gozon is part of the Go Negosyo Children’s Storybook Series which features success stories of notable personalities in business.
4. His nickname “Henry” was rather “accidental”. It was due to a head injury that he got while swimming in the Malabon River, which entailed him to have his hair shaved for its treatment. Because of his new look, he was thought to resemble a cartoon character named “Henry”, hence the monicker.
5. He had the help of a trusty tape recorder to document his anecdotes for his autobiography — a project he created upon his family and friends’ motivation. 5 years after, in 2014, it was published with the title “Felipe L. Gozon: How GMA Became No. 1.”
Featured photo from marketing-interactive.com